ow. ow. ow.

Story: PC-BSD Meets Software Piracy?Total Replies: 13
Author Content
tuxchick

Aug 27, 2007
11:11 AM EDT
I fully support LXer's policy of publishing news and opinions from all sources. When other readers have complained about "why did you post this! It's too stupid to see the light of day!" I staunchly defended LXer.

But.

Hartley's twaddle is awful. It's not even twaddle- it's twaddle lite. If the fine brainiacs behind LXer ever decide to code a tagging backend so that readers can automatically tag certain topics, authors, or sites, I'm putting in my vote for a "twaddle" tag.

jdixon

Aug 27, 2007
11:47 AM EDT
> Hartley's twaddle is awful.

Yep. He stinks. I've taken to avoiding anything with his name on it.
Alcibiades

Aug 27, 2007
11:47 AM EDT
Yes, agreed 100%. And not only is it twaddle, but the link to the alleged site has gone missing. And what is this stuff about installing Windows apps without Wine??? Bring on the twaddle tag ASAP.
tymiles

Aug 27, 2007
12:16 PM EDT
? How can they run a Windows app on BSD in KDE without using something Wine?

Did I miss something?
Aladdin_Sane

Aug 27, 2007
12:30 PM EDT
The article leaves more questions than answers. Unfortunately, the questions are uninteresting (not interesting enough to go finding the answers to).

I'd already learned not to read LXer articles from OSWeekly.com, but I just had to check one more time. Very disappointed.
techiem2

Aug 27, 2007
1:13 PM EDT
He had the address to the site in question near the end of the article, but not as a link. I also wondered about the missing link. And the article in general....
Sander_Marechal

Aug 27, 2007
1:30 PM EDT
Quoting:Did I miss something?

Good question. Downloading a PBI now and going to rip it apart and see what's in it. It must be Wine or something. Has to be. Probably something similar to IEs4Linux where the Wine part is preconfigured for that one application and hidden away from the user (effecitively making one wine-drive per application instead on one big wine-drive for all your applications. Easier to tune but eats space).
Sander_Marechal

Aug 27, 2007
2:43 PM EDT
Well, that was easier said than done. I can't unpackage it, though it looks to be done with tar. But the actual archive is somewhere inside the PBI and I can't find the beginning and end-point. Oh well, I am a hacker, not a cracker. Someone boot a PC-BSD Live CD and run PBI Extract on that package and see what's in it. On install it (ugh) and look in /Programs.
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 27, 2007
3:03 PM EDT
I agree that Matt Hartley's article are usually suspect, and rightfully so.

Believe me when I tell you that there have been many articles written by him that have not made it anywhere near the newswire.

Besides, without him where would most of my FUD articles of the week come from?

;-)

Aladdin_Sane

Aug 27, 2007
4:03 PM EDT
Funny, nothing from that author makes me feel any fear, uncertainty or doubt. Maybe a bit of exhaustion from having to mentally erase it after exposure.
jdixon

Aug 27, 2007
4:06 PM EDT
> ...nothing from that author makes me feel any fear, uncertainty or doubt.

He sometimes leaves me uncertain that English is his native language. Does that count?
dinotrac

Aug 27, 2007
5:03 PM EDT
>leaves me uncertain that English is his native language

Me too think him english talk bad bad bad.
nalf38

Aug 28, 2007
11:44 AM EDT
Is he actually suggesting that Windows apps can be run on PC-BSD natively? Does this guy even own a computer?
hkwint

Sep 02, 2007
2:39 PM EDT
http://forums.pcbsd.org/viewtopic.php?t=8467

Quoting:Find your Photoshop serial number in your old CDs somewhere in the dust, and type it in.

(Same for Dreamweaver)

Found that within 5 minutes...

However, it IS illegal to install IE6 without Windows (like 'winetools' tells you when trying to install it in Linux).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!