Great idea

Story: Freedom ToasterTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Aug 19, 2007
4:09 AM EDT
I have to say that this is a pretty good idea. I hope someone starts putting these in other countries as well.
jacog

Aug 19, 2007
5:12 AM EDT
Very good indeed. I have one at a mall just up the road from where I live. It even has the Gutenberg archive on it. Plus with multiple burners you can simultanously burn all the disks of your chosen distro.
vainrveenr

Aug 19, 2007
8:27 AM EDT
Also think that this is a great idea. Main website at http://www.freedomtoaster.org

At least these few issues, though, to overcome, before more rapid adoption

1. From 'Failing Freedom Toaster' by Adarsh Prabhu | 18th Jan, 2007, http://ninepointzero.wordpress.com/2007/01/18/failing-freedo... The writer's summarizes his views on the Freedom Toaster as such
Quoting:- People need to interact with technologies they will most likely use - Open-source permeation/adoption rates are way below what they should be for success - Only geeks and enthusiasts should be interested in this, and even then most have good internet access - Freedom Toaster: Not a success and way overdue

2. The omnipresence of the Microsoft lock-in juggernaut, including that of its partners worldwide. As an extreme, just try to envision how quickly a Freedom Toaster will be freely removed or made inaccessible in any way possible from anywhere near a big Microsoft-using business in the "Land of the Free", never mind even TRYING to transport a Freedom Toaster near Redmund,WA (in the Pacific Northwest region of that "Land of the Free"!)

A good guess is that the Freedom Toaster will have its best short-term success beyond the reach of the Microsoft lock-in empire, or if this is not possible, at least its best success at the periphery (e.g., Australia, South American countries, some European countries, Southeast Asia... etc.) Others can better pick which countries the Freedom Toaster will best succeed in as well.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!