Lobby Group: Microsoft Too Close to BBC

Story: Save the BBC from Windows DRM!Total Replies: 7
Author Content
henke54

Aug 03, 2007
1:07 PM EDT
Quoting:LONDON (AP) -- A software lobby group is campaigning to highlight the role of software giant Microsoft Corp. in the British Broadcasting Corp.'s digital media strategy by petitioning Great Britain Prime Minister Gordon Brown to address the issue.

The Free Software Foundation, a Boston-based open software lobby group, has registered a petition on the prime minister's Web site with around 13,000 signatories, and plans to mount protests outside two of the BBC's offices next week, according to its Web site.
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070803/microsoft_bbc.html?.v=1
hkwint

Aug 04, 2007
4:04 PM EDT
Thanks henke.

If I may add:

Quoting:The former director of Microsoft's Windows digital media unit, is now a BBC new media strategist.

Translated: The guy who put the Disabling & Restricting Malware (DRM) in Microsoft, now has to decide about which video-formats the BBC uses, and who may watch and who may not.

We have to keep an eye on this; the last words here will probably not been spoken soon.
mvermeer

Aug 04, 2007
9:17 PM EDT
Same with Finnish Yleisradio. The new boss is an ex-Microsoftie, and he has already denied that this has anything to do with Yle's choice of WMV as their preferred format ;-(

"No I didn't stop beating my wife"
Teron

Aug 05, 2007
2:50 PM EDT
mvermeer, any links? That's pretty alarming, IMHO.
Teron

Aug 05, 2007
3:07 PM EDT
Ah, so it's Jungner you were talking about. Still, any links to the denial stuff? Should be a funny read, that one.
jacog

Aug 06, 2007
12:57 AM EDT
Wow. I read this stuff and my conspiracy flag goes up. Was Huggie Bear planted by Microsoft?
dinotrac

Aug 06, 2007
4:25 AM EDT
>I read this stuff and my conspiracy flag goes up.

For this you don't need any conspiracy flags. This is pure blatant show of power.

>Was Huggie Bear planted by Microsoft?

Huggie Bear is a Cylon, planted to keep us all off guard. Hutch was also a Cylon. Starsky was just annoying.
hkwint

Aug 06, 2007
2:53 PM EDT
Quoting:any links?

Tried to search, but the best I could come up with was a Swedish text from Yle itself. I can't read Finnish, you see, but I can understand Swedish a tiny bit while reading.

Here's what they had to say about WMV:

Apart from MPEG4, it's the best format available, it's supported by four different gratis players - WMP, Flash, Realplayer and Quicktime player, and those players together enable WMV on a lot of platforms: Both Windows, Mac as well as Linux, and therefore the majority of the people can use it. (please take into consideration this is my first SE=>EN translation, so it may suck a bit)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!