On the contrary...

Story: Windows vs. Linux vs. OS X: CIO John Halamka Tests UbuntuTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
mvermeer

Aug 02, 2007
1:01 PM EDT
> Standardization may one day become a relic of the corporate IT?s crusty past.

On the contrary! The more heterogeneous the computing environment, the more true standards compliance becomes absolutely vital.

Not the first to mix up 'vendor lock-in' with 'standards'.

Good article otherwise. BTW I replaced Evolution with sylpheed-claws-gtk and never looked back. True, it's not a PIM, but it's a fine mail client, with lots of handy plug-ins. (One of which actually adds PIM functionality :) And of course not Exchange-compatible, what I don't need, but somebody may.
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 02, 2007
4:57 PM EDT
I just can't figure out Evolution for some of my accounts. Sylpheed works better -- and way faster on my old crap hardware.

I read the whole article ... that CIO.com site thinks it's getting additional page views by splitting an article over 20 screens. It's getting them ... now, but all that clicking makes me not want to go there again.
Abe

Aug 02, 2007
6:03 PM EDT
I read his first article few months ago. I wasn't impressed.

A CIO that spends that much time evaluating is no good CIO to me. S/He either doesn't trust the capability and ability of the internal people to conduct the research and exploration, or s/he is a micro-manager (M&M) looking for more fame. Either way s/he is no good CIO with lots of free time.

I personally don't have much respects to CIOs in the first place. My baseline is, if a CIO doesn't have Linux partially implemented in his/her organization already, then s/he is not worth listening to.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!