If they....

Story: Microsoft won’t litigate open source patentsTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
rijelkentaurus

May 19, 2007
10:44 AM EDT
If they aren't going to litigate and thereby defend their patents, can this be construed as them giving up claim on those patents? I thought they had to defend them in order for them to be enforceable, although I am definitely NOT a lawyer. Would this statement make it more difficult for them to try to litigate in the future?

Dino? What're yer thoughts, yo?
dinotrac

May 19, 2007
11:01 AM EDT
>can this be construed as them giving up claim on those patents?

No. You are not obligated to defend patents. It's trademarks you have to defend.
rijelkentaurus

May 19, 2007
11:35 AM EDT
Thanks for the clarification!
tracyanne

May 19, 2007
3:56 PM EDT
Quoting:Redmond (WA) - Microsoft officials are clarifying statements made regarding the number of patents supposedly violated by open source operating systems. Recently company officials have said that 235 of Microsoft’s patents are being potentially breached by operating systems such as Linux. Now Microsoft’s General Manager of Platform Strategy Bill Hilf says the company doesn’t have any plans on litigation.

Hilf told InfoWorld that the company’s strategy has always been to “license and not litigate”. He added that Microsoft has “no plans to litigate”, but cautiously added, “You can never say we’ll never do anything in the future.”

Good cop speaks.
bigg

May 19, 2007
4:12 PM EDT
> Recently company officials have said that 235 of Microsoft’s patents are being potentially breached by operating systems such as Linux.

I didn't hear Ballmer talking about "potentially". He was making much stronger statements.
tracyanne

May 19, 2007
4:43 PM EDT
Actually Ballmer didn't say "operating systems such as Linux", he said Linux. Steve Balmer does plays the heavy, while Bill Hilf plays the nice guy, the objective is the same, keep people unsettled, spread FUD.
bigg

May 19, 2007
5:20 PM EDT
> Bill Hilf plays the nice guy

Maybe regarding patents. Some of the things he's been saying are worse than anything Ballmer's ever said. I seldom even read anything from Bill Hilf anymore. He's like Enderle on steroids.
devnet

May 19, 2007
7:03 PM EDT
Wasn't hilf supposed to be a Linux guy? ;)
dcparris

May 19, 2007
7:19 PM EDT
> Wasn't hilf supposed to be a Linux guy? ;)

Apparently, Billy Jr. doesn't know it's always best to byob - greatly reduces the possibility that someone hands you a spiked drink.
devnet

May 20, 2007
9:39 AM EDT
dcparris,

The thing is...when working for Microsoft as a Linux guy...there's two avenues you can travel down. The first is a fighter who always loses battles by holding Linux and Open Source true to your heart and mind...a champion if you will inside the walls of FUD.

The second is a sell out...one who is just there for the paycheck and to make FUD Master Flex sound nice by having a Linux guy around.

The first is one that may come off having respect when the job is over. The second one burnt their bridges to the ground and won't make it back to Linux in any way.

I hope he knows he nuked his bridges. He'll have to work for Windows-Centric places from this point on...
dcparris

May 20, 2007
10:27 AM EDT
> The thing is...when working for Microsoft as a Linux guy...there's two avenues you can travel down.

That was my point exactly. He apparently did not bring his own - he chose to drink the spiked punch instead.
jezuch

May 20, 2007
3:25 PM EDT
I liked it when he came to a conference dressed like a Star Wars stormtrooper :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!