Ok everybody (at Redmond), let's get our stories straight.

Story: Microsoft patent claims hint at internal issuesTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
kozmcrae

May 15, 2007
7:57 PM EDT
I love this quote from Horacio Gutierrez, "Microsoft invests over 6 billion in research and development a year, and that's an investment that results in innovation," he said. "Our shareholders have a right to expect that we are going to protect that innovation."

What the hell did they researching in all that time? How to build a better tooth pick? Really, they could have been burning that money to keep warm. If the money spent was directly proportional to advancements (useful advancements that is) in technology then yes, 6 billion a year would be quite an "accomplishment". But standing by its self it means nothing. I think the stockholders have a right to know what their 6 billion bought. Like just exactly what "innovation" are we talking about Horacio? Measuring how good and innovation is by how much money you throw at it nonsense.
bigg

May 15, 2007
8:03 PM EDT
I'm sure that includes money spent on the xbox, developing mice and keyboards, fixing security holes, producing new versions of all of their many lines of software, defender, and so on. They definitely do not spend $6B a year on adding innovations to Windows, that's for sure. I'm positive that includes the money they spent cloning Firefox, which can hardly be called innovation.

Everything they say is a lie. It is not worthy of a response.
jezuch

May 16, 2007
2:48 AM EDT
UAC is not innovative? All those new methods of copy-protection? The brilliant ways to stop you from changing anything in your machine without buying new Windows license? Well, that's got to be worth $6 billion!
kozmcrae

May 16, 2007
6:02 AM EDT
>UAC is not innovative? Sorry, you have a point. I'll be more careful in the future. ;-)
dthacker

May 16, 2007
6:46 PM EDT
"It was the ribbon menu, I swear we never thought it would cost that much!"
moopst

May 16, 2007
7:35 PM EDT
No, it was making it take more than an hour to delete, copy or move a file http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/15/vistas_long_goodbye_...
dcparris

May 16, 2007
10:04 PM EDT
The first problem I have with the article is the author's suggestion that Vista is an operating system. I'm guessing his definition of an OS is much looser than mine. ;-) I have to admit, though, that converting an 8-second delete operation into a 25-minute to 4-hour expedition is probably well worth their research dollars. I'm sure that feature alone probably cost them 250 million to research and develop.
tracyanne

May 17, 2007
12:11 AM EDT
From moopst's link, this is one Vista users solution to the copy/delete/move problem

Quoting:I've actually had Vista running on my laptop for a few months now. Although, I've reinstalled it a couple of times. The first time I had the exact same bug, which I remember reading about somewhere (something to do with thumbnail generation?).

At any rate, the current install of Vista on my laptop has no problems, whatsoever. I've turned off indexing (completely) and UAC. Aero's running with everything it's got.

I think it's a common bug, but I also think that something I did solved it, atleast for me. Might've been indexing, might've been UAC, who knows.

I thought the idea of UAC was to make the OS more secure. I wonder how many other Vista users simply turn off this much touted security feature.
Sander_Marechal

May 17, 2007
1:11 AM EDT
From what I read, pretty much every power user does. I'm guessing that anyone who can find the option burried 10 menu's down will turn it off. The constant stream of popups is just too annoying, apparently. And to think that I already get annoyed by the amount of popups I get on XP.
bigg

May 17, 2007
4:34 AM EDT
> The constant stream of popups is just too annoying, apparently.

Apparently? Apparently you've not used Vista much. UAC is far worse than that stupid paper clip that used to come with MS Office. UAC makes the screen go dim and other annoying stuff. Having used it for a while now, I can only conclude that MS was looking for a way to shift the blame for security problems to the user rather than solving the security problems.
tracyanne

May 17, 2007
5:05 AM EDT
So not only is UAC not all that secure, when enabled, it's so annoying in use, that Windows users turn off the much touted extra security of Vista. Nice secure system that Vista.
SFN

May 17, 2007
5:30 AM EDT
People are turning it off in droves. The comment "once I turned off all the stupid security stuff, it wasn't so bad" is so common it's practically the Vista mantra.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!