Which is the Right Distro for ME?

Story: Distro Selectors: How Accurate Are They?Total Replies: 23
Author Content
rht

May 02, 2007
1:54 PM EDT
Whenever anyone asks me that question I reply: "Use the distribution that your friendly Linux guru uses."

And if they reply that they don't know any Linux gurus I say: "Use the distribution that is used by your next door neighbour's 12 year old."
jimf

May 02, 2007
2:49 PM EDT
We've been through what I actually think of 'Distro Selectors'... Honestly, I don't know a better way than actually trying a few of the live CD's and checking out some of the Linux community forums.

> used by your next door neighbour's 12 year old

Sounds like a cool plan, but, I think you probably find it to be w2k or xp, like their friends.....
azerthoth

May 02, 2007
3:11 PM EDT
The only issue I have with the article is that it blithely glosses over intentionally the "other" up and comers. Heck PCLOS just took the top spot on distrowatch if you look at the 7 day period and is running a close second on the 30 day ... which distro did he name specifically that he wasnt interested in reviewing?

Having used a plethora of distros from Gentoo to Debian and from PCLOS to *buntu there is a good reason PCLOS is starting to edge out the recent predominant leader. Its easier ... even the bcm/ndiswrapper is easier with PCLOS.

While its not my personal favorite, it is the one that I think has the best chance of dethroning *buntu, and the one I recommend to any and all new linux users. His offhand dismissal of it and others struck me as a thing that belongs on my list of "Things that aint right with this world".

/me steps off his soap box

*edit* Congrats to PCLOS for their atleast short term shot at #1 ... good work guys.
rijelkentaurus

May 02, 2007
4:08 PM EDT
Quoting: While its not my personal favorite, it is the one that I think has the best chance of dethroning *buntu

/me grabs azerthoth's soap box

It can't be everyone's fave, but it's definitely mine. I just installed the TR4 (which will be final) and it is sweet, and I'm putting a check in the mail tomorrow to update my server access. It's absolutely phenomenal, with a great community behind it (just don't ask when the next version comes out ;) and they deserve tons of kudos. It's easier to install than Ubuntu, it's faster (and KDE, no less), it has a great system control panel...and being that I like Red Hat distros, its lineage is from Red Hat (based originally off Mandriva, which was based originally off Red Hat). From the command line, it's pretty much like working with Red Hat. And it uses Synaptic for its RPMs. Sweet. I love this distro. Way to go Texstar!

/me hands azerthoth back his soap box

PS. I was using Debian Etch while I was waiting for PCLOS to get the website back online (too popular for their host to manage) and to get the TR4 out, and I must say that I loved that one also. You can't go wrong with Etch. Point your sources.list to testing in a couple of months, and have a current system as easy as pie. I like that PCLOS is up to date also, and as stable as anything.
jimf

May 02, 2007
4:29 PM EDT
> You can't go wrong with Etch.

Nothing beats Debian, so, in general, I'd agree except for someone with no prior Linux experience. Because it's deb based I would recomend Mepis over PCLOS to a new Linux user. Later on, the transition to Debian proper is an easy one.
jrm

May 02, 2007
4:42 PM EDT
I wish these distro choosers had been around in 1998. I've been using Slackware all this time, but it turns out I'm not advanced enough to even try installing it.
jimf

May 02, 2007
4:48 PM EDT
> turns out I'm not advanced enough to even try installing it.

In 1998 I'm not sure anyone was ;-)
jdixon

May 02, 2007
5:42 PM EDT
> In 1998 I'm not sure anyone was ;-)

How about 1994? :)
jdixon

May 02, 2007
5:59 PM EDT
Well, zengenie gets the two distributions I'm most likely to use right: Slackware and Gentoo. They leave out Debian though.

Desktop Linux thinks Debian is for experts and Slackware and Gentoo are for gurus. I think they're at least five years behind the times.
dcparris

May 02, 2007
6:58 PM EDT
'96 was when I first tried GNU/Linux. Slack 1.? Never got past the root/boot floppies. Oh well.
techiem2

May 02, 2007
7:08 PM EDT
I think my initial linux install was somewhere in 94-96 with a slackware installed from floppies. :) Ah the memories...
Bob_Robertson

May 02, 2007
7:14 PM EDT
1995, Debian .92 on 14 floppies. I still have the box around here somewhere, different motherboard though. The 386-33 had an on-board battery meltdown, the acid caused some of the traces to lift right off the board. Ick.

Being able to read the boot messages _as they happened_ was an interesting exercise. But it ran Xwindows, Netscape and everything else I wanted...except Ultima Online. So I kept it as a server and went back to Windows for the "desktop" until 2000 when Win95 finally melted down.

The only time I tried one of the "distro pickers" it said "Debian", so I guess I was right at the time. The community development was what drew me in first, and by the time I'd heard much about other distributions I was completely hooked on Apt and .DEB and couldn't ever make a change work out.

But I do keep a Knoppix disk around for when the wife's Windows box chokes.
jrm

May 03, 2007
3:43 AM EDT
I just think it's misleading to tell people that Slackware and Debian are for advanced users. As long as you're curious and willing to learn, your skill level doesn't really matter.
jdixon

May 03, 2007
5:36 AM EDT
> I just think it's misleading to tell people that Slackware and Debian are for advanced users.

The Desktop Linux sites appears to rate distributions as guru, expert, intermediate, knowledgeable, or beginner. Actually, I'd agree with them that Slackware is for experts, but they seem to think it's for gurus. I don't think any of the major distributions require guru status anymore, though I've never tried Gentoo, so I can't really speak to it.

Debian is even easier, and is at worst intermediate.

The problems with Slackware are not the install process, but the system configuration and the installation of software not included in the distribution.
bigg

May 03, 2007
5:56 AM EDT
> Debian is even easier, and is at worst intermediate.

If I can use Debian, yes, it is at worst intermediate. What is funny to me is that Ubuntu is usually called a beginner's distribution. Aside from a few things like changing the fstab once in a while, running Debian has required little more knowledge than Ubuntu. I run Debian, don't know much about Linux, and don't need to know much about Linux.
techiem2

May 03, 2007
6:32 AM EDT
I'd say that installing gentoo without the fancy graphical installer would probably rate as intermediate, installing with the graphical installer would probably be knowledgeable.

As for general package maintenance and such (command line package maintenance anyway), it seems to me to be about the same as debian from the little I've played with debian so far. With the exception of the available use flags and such, but that's fairly easy to learn.

Of course that's based on my personal definitions of the terms. :)
Steven_Rosenber

May 03, 2007
9:27 AM EDT
When I did my recent Debian 4.0 network install, it looked eerily like an "alternate install" of Ubuntu ... except the Debian install worked. For Ubuntu/Xubuntu, only the live CDs have worked for me.

I do like the add/del programs utility in Ubuntu -- for new users, it's crystal clear. But soon enough, you're going to want/need Synaptic and apt-get, so you could be running Debian.

Like some have said -- take a test drive and see what works best for you and your hardware.

I've been doing some Debian 4.0 vs. Ubuntu 6.06LTS tests (I know I should be running Feisty -- and I do have the ISO, but I haven't burned and installed it yet). So far, Debian has a slight edge (it's GNOME vs. GNOME) in program-load times, and it feels a bit quicker on my lousy test box (a hacked 1 GHz Maxspeed Maxterm thin client with 256 MB RAM).

I remain surprised at how polished Debian is on the desktop -- you'd think that Ubuntu had some kind of super-secret in terms of ease of use. Not the case.

That said, I need to give SimplyMepis a try, too. I love MepisLite, but it seems at a dead end as far as development goes.
jimf

May 03, 2007
9:52 AM EDT
@ Steven_Rosenber

While Gnome may be the default, the reality may not be. I know a lot of guys running Debian. Almost all of them have opted for the KDE desktop, and that's what I hear people recommending. What's really nice is that most don't have to (and don't) limit themselves to QT or GTK as far as apps are concerned.
Sander_Marechal

May 03, 2007
10:47 AM EDT
Quoting:What's really nice is that most don't have to (and don't) limit themselves to QT or GTK as far as apps are concerned.

I just wish that the base GTK and QT libraries had a "recommended" flag on their theme engines and default theme. Right now, QT aps look hirruble on GNOME and vice versa. You can add the theme engines yourself, but it would be nice if it came by default.
jimf

May 03, 2007
11:16 AM EDT
> QT aps look hirruble on GNOME and vice versa

That may still be true in Gnome, but KDE has had that under control for some time. With anything past sarge you don't need (and shouldn't use) the qt theme engine. Just go to kcontrol>appearance & themes>colors>check 'apply colors to non-KDE applications' and hit apply.

Really, the only app that doesn't play well appearance wise (with anyone) is that damned OO.
Sander_Marechal

May 03, 2007
12:12 PM EDT
Quoting:Just go to kcontrol>appearance & themes>colors>check 'apply colors to non-KDE applications' and hit apply.

That's what I mean actually. That uses the gtk-qt library and it's installed on KDE. The GNOME equivalent uses qt3-config but that one isn't installed by default sadly.

Quoting:Really, the only app that doesn't play well appearance wise (with anyone) is that damned OO.

Surprising. It integrates well with Gnome. Try installing openoffice-gtk and openoffice-gnome and see if KDE will recognise it as a GTK app and apply it's theme to it through gtk-qt.

jimf

May 03, 2007
12:34 PM EDT
> That's what I mean actually. That uses the gtk-qt library and it's installed on KDE.

Actually, it's not any more, believe me, I just did an extensive search. Not sure what they use to do this but it works without the original gtk-qt or the engine.

> installing openoffice-gtk and openoffice-gnome and see if KDE will recognise it as a GTK app

Cool, great tip! Now that one worked :D

There is an openoffice.org-kde package, but the 'crystal' icons are so not what I do.

bigg

May 03, 2007
12:49 PM EDT
> the 'crystal' icons are so not what I do.

I prefer the tango icons: http://www.madman2k.net/comments/70
jimf

May 03, 2007
12:53 PM EDT
> I prefer the tango icons:

Lol, with tango icons and the kde color theme: http://jimfarnsworth.com/oodesk.jpg

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!