Using Sharp Fonts On A GNOME Desktop

Story: Using Sharp Fonts On A GNOME DesktopTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
robntina

Apr 05, 2007
9:15 PM EDT
Gaaaa!!! you've got to be kidding me. That looks Horrible!! Much better before the "improvement".

I think I sprained an eyeball.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 05, 2007
10:18 PM EDT
Yeah, I fully agree.

Also, when I picked up my new work laptop I noticed that XP* now uses the exact same font settings as Gnome does. E.g. a nice smoothed large type font instead of the small pixellated Tahoma.

* Yes I know. Don't worry. The thing is going Debian/etch as soon as I have time. With full support from the IT people at work! :-)
pwainwright

Apr 05, 2007
10:38 PM EDT
Some people are never satisfied. A couple of years ago there was a chorus of "Linux isn't ready for the desktop, 'coz it does not support anti-aliased [i.e. fuzzy] fonts". Now we've come full circle, it seems. Ironic... Perhaps its a personal thing. I prefer slight anti-aliasing myself.
tracyanne

Apr 06, 2007
12:00 AM EDT
quote:: Also, when I picked up my new work laptop I noticed that XP* ::quote

Another Windows sales gets racked up. No wonder the Hardware manufacturers can categorically state Linux sales are tiny.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 06, 2007
3:28 PM EDT
Nope. It's volume licensed i.e. they payed for it whether or not they installed it. Besides, XP will serve me well in one of my next articles :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!