Too bad for the "No derivatives" license

Story: PCLinuxOS Magazine April 2007 Issue 8 ReleasedTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Apr 02, 2007
8:04 AM EDT
It's really too bad that the PCLinuxOS magazine uses the "no derivatives" clause of the Creative Commons license. A simple replace('PCLinuxOS', 'Linux', $magazine) would make most of the magazine very suited to any newbie Linux users, not just PCLinuxOS newbies.
jimf

Apr 02, 2007
8:27 AM EDT
While I think that Creative Commons is 'generally' more applicable to most literary and creative works, the direct association with a major Linux Distro would seem to preclude that. GPL is the right way to go here. I'm not sure why they'd want it otherwise?
dinotrac

Apr 02, 2007
9:15 AM EDT
>I'm not sure why they'd want it otherwise?

I don't know. The GPL seems pretty well suited to code, but to literature?
jimf

Apr 02, 2007
10:30 AM EDT
I know that some are indeed releasing graphics under GPL, certainly literature is in the same catagory. Personally, I think Creative Commons is more suited, but for a Distro project, maybe not... Or maybe we're just being overly picky.
dcparris

Apr 02, 2007
1:55 PM EDT
I would think either the GNU FDL or the Creative Commons licenses are better for literature. There are understandable reasons for not allowing modifications to a work, but in the case of a magazine or documentation, I should think that allowing derivatives should be o.k. Actually, there might be good reasons for a magazine to disallow derivs. I'm not sure it's a good idea for a FOSS project to disallow derivs though. Hmmm...
helios

Apr 02, 2007
2:58 PM EDT
It seems that it would also preclude some authors from contributing out of philosophical/political/religious reasons (I dubble dawg dare you to argue that FOSS is not a religion to sum). I do know that some of the things I author, I choose to release under the no derivitives clause. One word substituted or changed can make a world of difference in context.

And why yes, I did just see Larry The Cable Guy here in concert...why does you ask?
dcparris

Apr 02, 2007
3:41 PM EDT
I published PitP under the no-derivs clause since it's more of an argumentative book. Had it been primarily educational or fictional, I would have allowed derivs.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!