um...

Story: Review: Open-Source Encryption Utility Frustrates PhishersTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
techiem2

Jan 06, 2007
5:12 AM EDT
Nice overview of truecrypt, but what's it really have to do with stopping phishing? I mean, it only foils malware or whatever from stealing/breaking your stuff if you don't have your encrypted volume mounted. Once it's mounted, malware could steal/break your stuff anyway. And we all know how likely your typical user is to actual only mount the volume when they need the data on it and then immediately unmount it... As for the "critical" feature of boot sector encryption, doesn't that only matter if you're booting the encrypted volume? I don't recall you being able to boot a truecrypt volume anyway since you need a driver to access it, unless someone's made a bios or boot loader with truecrypt driver support built in (which, I must say, would be pretty cool).
tqk

Jan 06, 2007
10:43 AM EDT
"Nice overview of truecrypt, but what's it really have to do with stopping phishing?"

That's what I wondered too.

Besides, once a system's so infected with malware that you need this sort of thing, locking stuff down is a little late. Key loggers anyone?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!