why not

Story: Sun settles on GPL for open source JavaTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
rittmey

Nov 13, 2006
10:22 PM EDT
dcparris, since SUN has been in intensive discussions with the GNU classpath project the decision to use the GPL is not that surprising. Still do not understand why so many people consider SUN to be evil. No one would give a damn about desktop linux if SUN hadn't released OO.o.

Agreed, SUN has been sending very mixed messages regarding GNU/Linux and I guess they will keep doing so in the future. But nevertheless they have shown to be forthcoming. The LGPL-licensing of OO.o in 2005 (prior to that OpenOffice was dual-licensed using the LGPL and "Sun Industry Standards Source License") was just another example of SUN doing things right.
dcparris

Nov 14, 2006
4:21 AM EDT
I do know that many people consider Sun evil. I've just always seen their mixed signals, and have little understanding of why "Sun is evil" - well, beyond the fact that some people don't like Java. I encountered Sun when I discovered StarOffice 5.2, which (I believe) was basically freeware, on Red Hat 5.1. I later discovered that Sun had released OpenOffice.org. I was actually surprised they chose the GNU GPL, which, in some ways, they seemed sort of dead-set against. Anyway, I'm definitely happy about the decision. :-) I can now feel much more comfortable using Java and Java apps.
jdixon

Nov 14, 2006
5:04 AM EDT
> I encountered Sun when I discovered StarOffice 5.2, which (I believe) was basically freeware

Yes, StarOffice 5.2 was released as freeware. From memory, you had to register with Sun to get a license, but it was free.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!