When the numbers are already near zero...

Story: FeriCyde Analysis: Linux Attacks Rare But May RiseTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
Syscrusher

Oct 24, 2006
8:16 AM EDT
...how can they but rise? Concluding that Linux virus counts will rise is statistically inevitable. So what? What these pundits fail to mention is that rising from 12 known viruses (or whatever) to 20 or 50 or even 100 still falls far short of the 13,000 for Windoze eXPloitable.

Alligator attacks in Alaska are rare, and extremely unlikely to decline in the future! Well, duh.
tuxchick2

Oct 24, 2006
8:40 AM EDT
But you never know. That is why I feel it is vital for every Alaskan citizen to purchase AlligatorGuard(TM). AlligatorGuard(TM) licenses are calculated on a very competitive per-attack licensing fee. We care about our customers and want to ensure that every AlligatorGuard(TM) user is fully protected.

Don't forget to check out our attractive line of fine CrocodileShield(TM) products.
PaulFerris

Oct 24, 2006
8:41 AM EDT
tuxxy: That sounds like a good business to get into -- tell ya what, you do it and I'll come along with a big wad of cash and put you out of business.
jimf

Oct 24, 2006
9:08 AM EDT
tuxchick, don't forget to tell those Floridians to renew their KodakProof(tm)...
tuxchick2

Oct 24, 2006
9:31 AM EDT
Paulie, you scared me. I thought you were quoting Rush "capital punishment for all drug offenses except mine" Limbaugh. But i googled until I found an alternate Rush.

I'll take your money happily. Unless you expect something in return.
hkwint

Oct 25, 2006
12:35 PM EDT
CNN & magic numbers...

If Apple viruses rise from 12 to 18 (that's 6 more); they will have risen 50%; when Windows viruses rise from 12.000 to 12.006, the rise will be 0,0something%. CNN will then say that Apple is less secure...; darn fools.

I always say (counterargument); if more people start using Linux, more people will start looking at the code and make it more secure. That's something that doesn't work for closed source software that straightforward!

Paulie: You know when zero will be devided by zero, strange stuff may happen? Limits-rules, l'Hôpital and that kind of stuff? You can usually bend it any way you like, to become anything from infinity to zero...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!