OK...When did the need for thought processes disappear?

Story: DVD Jon to play fair with Apple's DRM?Total Replies: 5
Author Content
dinotrac

Oct 07, 2006
8:56 AM EDT
When somebody predicates their argument on not wanting to make iPods more popular, you know we are in space cadet land.

Anybody who has pulled his nose away from a computer screen knows those @#!$%!!! little white earbuds are everywhere -- and annoying as Hell, what with iPodistas utterly oblivious to anybody around them.
jimf

Oct 07, 2006
9:07 AM EDT
dino,

I got to say that I fully agree with you on this one. Let the market sort this one out.
jdixon

Oct 07, 2006
9:23 AM EDT
> OK...When did the need for thought processes disappear?

I'm not quite sure, but I believe it was sometime in the sixties, probably during LBJ's tenure in the White House.
jimf

Oct 07, 2006
9:49 AM EDT
Oh, it was way before that jdixion ;-)
Libervis

Oct 07, 2006
3:06 PM EDT
Ah oh.. I didn't base my whole argument on not wanting to increase the popularity of iPods mind you guys, although a virtual monopoly of only one device is a concern.

I just generally expressed doubts about what DVD Jon is doing being the best way to fight DRM, if he still has that in his interest. I am not strictly suggesting that what he is doing is wrong.

Cheers
dinotrac

Oct 07, 2006
6:10 PM EDT
Livervis -

Well, it's pretty clear that this doesn't fight DRM...

And there is a good argument that it actually strengthens DRM.

But there is another consideration.

Sounds like DVD Jon isn't breaking the Apple DRM so much as breaking Apple's monopoliy on it.

I've always said that I have no problem with the abstract idea of DRM. Something that won't let me do something I have no right to do is not a bother to me. Trouble is, nobody's come up with DRM like that. They all keep me from doing things I am legally entitled to do.

That burns me up. It's even sent me -- very much to my chagrin -- to BItTorrent to get a second copy of music that I had legally downloaded and paid for (From iTunes -- nevermore) but could not put on my cell phone and could not play on my computer. As the IP rights go to rights go to the authored work (the song performance) and not to the medium, I broke down and found it on BitTorrent, something I should never have had to do.

If we can find a set of working conventions and legal headroom that allow DRM to protect things to the extent they are legally entitled and still let me exercise my legal rights, I won't have any bones to pick with DRM. If DVD Jon can make an honest buck exploring the space allowed for legal reverse-engineering under DMCA, then maybe some real good will come out of it. In fact, I'd like to see him make a nice fat bundle on it...maybe encourage others to do likewise.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!