If it is true. If.

Story: Linux XP Desktop project debuts English versionTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Alcibiades

Sep 22, 2006
8:34 AM EDT
If it is true that the free version only allows 99 boots, and further that there is a $40 fee for one activation on one machine, and if the source code is not being made freely available.....what other conclusion can one come to, except that this contrary to the GPL?

But the question is why does one need it? Any of the majors running Wine or Crossover will be just as Windows friendly. Is the novelty just an icon set? Well, fvwm95 will do that. Or, if you want the Mac, Bagheera or DreamLinux. Which last by the way I just tried. A noble effort, and more power to our friends in Brazil, but it is only skin deep.
techiem2

Sep 22, 2006
8:56 AM EDT
As for the ability to install and run windows applications, it is just using wine. The features page on their site links to the wine appdb.
johnb316

Sep 22, 2006
8:56 AM EDT
In looking at the screenshots of Linux XP, it appears that they infringe on Microsoft's theme design. More than that, if they modify any GPL programs, are they giving their changes back to the community? Are they going to make available the source code for the GPL programs on their CD?

Methinks a few people will be able to go after the Linux XP folks.
dcparris

Sep 22, 2006
3:45 PM EDT
I won't be using it at any rate. I just have no reason to run Windows apps.
jimf

Sep 22, 2006
3:59 PM EDT
Windows and Windows programs are a nasty addiction. This is just one more way for addicts to go on living in denial rather than find healthier alternatives.
dcparris

Sep 22, 2006
4:25 PM EDT
:-)
herzeleid

Sep 22, 2006
4:34 PM EDT
> Windows and Windows programs are a nasty addiction. This is just one more way for addicts to go on living in denial rather than find healthier alternatives.

I've never understood how some people can think that - for the life of me, I just don't see it.

I find linux to be powerfully addictive (on par with the need to breathe), while windoze seems to be about as addictive as listening to some boring, annoying advertising jingle over and over and over...
jimf

Sep 22, 2006
4:53 PM EDT
herzeleid,

Don't confuse normal and healthy needs, pleasures, and pursuits with addiction. Addiction is only a temporary illusion... No matter how great the momentary cheap thrill, it will always let you down and leave you disappointed, despairing, and craving more in the end.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!