Let's see how smart they are...

Story: Digging Deeper Associated Press, MSNBC Video to Support Macs ...Total Replies: 3
Author Content
dinotrac

Sep 14, 2006
3:19 AM EDT
If the rumblings out of adobe are correct...

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/

Flash 9 for Linux is around the corner, and these sites -- barring utter stupidity and nastiness by the developers should work fine.

BTW -- Though (loud sigh) Flash will not be freed any time soon, it looks like they are working very hard to make Flash work as well on Linux as it works anywhere else (take that however you wish).
Libervis

Sep 14, 2006
9:09 AM EDT
I'll take that gnashing my teeth. :P

I don't use flash and it's far from mandatory for anything. If I want youtube videos I get them via youtube-dl program. ;)

If I'll ever use flash then it'll be the free implementation which is GNASH.
dinotrac

Sep 14, 2006
9:38 AM EDT
Lib -

GNASH away, my friend.

Even for a die-hard free software type, there is some good news in this story. It is a definitive you can point your fingers at it and make an impression sign that the Windows-IE-Windows Media Player domination is over. Companies have understand that there is money out in them hills beyond Micosoft land.

In the early days, starry-eyed pioneers just wanted to get on the net and reach a lot of people.

Now it's become a jungle out there, and giving up 10-20% of the audience is unacceptable.
jimf

Sep 14, 2006
10:43 AM EDT
> the free implementation which is GNASH.

I agree that development of GNASH needs to be a first priority. I'd like to see us have a really effective free alternative.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!