I don't know how this one got by us...

Story: StartCom Enterprise Linux (AS-4.0.2) - Update ReleaseTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
helios

Jul 05, 2006
2:02 PM EDT
I like to think I am a bit ahead of the pack in keeping up with not only the distros, but the changing application and kernel scene as well. This Sum-gun came out of left field on me....had I not caught a little ditty entitled "the best distro's we've never heard of, I still wouldn't know. Now to be fair, I have not tinkered with the straight up distros by starcom, however I have installed the 5.0.5 multimedia distro and all I can say is Holy Herring Batman, and I thought Isreal only had a few exports...didn't know a flawless linux distro was one of them. Like I said, I am using the latest multimedia dvd and have it installed on my hdb drive. Everything works...jack does not have to be begged to appear, all the gstreamer stuff is extremely well behaved...I don't see why a professional music mixer or dj shouldn't have this distro as their main go-to system. The individual audio and graphics live cds that have appeared lately are pretty good, but this Startcom multimedia dvd...if you tinker with your own podcast intros or video splicing, editing, conversions...this here is your man.

helios
dcparris

Jul 05, 2006
2:04 PM EDT
Thanks for brining it to our attention, Helios! People need to know these things.
tuxchick2

Jul 05, 2006
2:11 PM EDT
Another Red Hat/Gnome clone? What do they offer that CentOS, White Box, Pie Box, and all the others don't?
jimf

Jul 05, 2006
2:25 PM EDT
Well, for one thing, the latest offering appears to be only avalible on DVD.
helios

Jul 05, 2006
3:37 PM EDT
No, the Multimedia 5.0.5 edition is stunning. It's not the distro, it's the magnificent and fully functional set of Linux Audio, Video and Graphical apps that steals the show. I know there are distro's that already do this, but none, and I mean none come close to matching the "studio in a box" that this does. As a regular distro, its no better or worse than most. As a musician's or artistically inclined person's choice, it's a treasure-trove.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!