well, ok but

Story: Browser shoppingTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
tuxchick2

Jul 05, 2006
10:39 AM EDT
It's nice to see articles like this, though I'm sure we're all going "how TF much pain does it take??" I like the bit about not wanting Opera because it has ad banners in the free version. This from someone who pays for anti-virus software. Better an expensive band-aid than a free healthy app, I guess.

And the article is from 2004- they couldn't take ten minutes to update it before re-publishing it?

Fave quote:

"Each browser application has different installation instructions, and it's recommended that readers review them BEFORE installation."
gryphen

Jul 05, 2006
2:51 PM EDT
Uh.... helloooo! Opera has been banner-free for quite sometime now. Obviously both the author of the article and many others are unaware of this. I do think however, that if he's writing for the Tampa Bay Newspapers Tech Corner that it's pretty poor journalism if he's not 'up-to-date' on this fact.

http://www.opera.com/ check the facts
jimf

Jul 05, 2006
2:59 PM EDT
Note at the bottom of the page reads:

"Note: This article was published in July 2004. According to Opera users who sent me e-mails, Opera removed the banner advertisements from its browser in 2005. Thank you to all those who like the Opera browser and took the time to e-mail me about the change."
helios

Jul 05, 2006
3:33 PM EDT
OK, honest-to-gosh headline in a blurb article in the Austin American Statesman via the "tech monday" section. Oh, Tech Monday? In what many call the second Silicon Valley...Austin Texas; AMD, Samsung, Dell, Prologis, IBM, (For miles, ALL you see is IBM buildings and campi.), Applied Materials, Intel, Win4Lin, Codeweavers, Sun, WindRiver, etc...all the Austin American Statesman can see themselves clear to publish is a silly little 4 page insert about Austin Technological news once a week, Usually they alternate Brown Nose Notes between Apple and Dell. About half of that is ads. Get the picture? I am left to wonder if the AAS has indoor plumbing. Anyway, here is the first headline that screamed at me from the filler bar on the left side of the insert:

"Preliminary research indicates new computers rarely break down in the first 12 months."

Oh, oh, ... Let me be a cutting-edge, eagle-eyed, cynical-yet-softhearted, cigar-chewing, whiskey-drinking journalist too!!! "I can do this, honest Mr. Jameson..I just need a chance. Here, watch what I can do."

"Independent reports confirm the moon rises at different times of the day during the month cycle."

"Most door knobs will open a door whether turned to the left or the right."

"Multiple studies show that rubbing wet hands vigorously with a soft, porous towel will result in the hands eventually becoming dry."

"Allowing journalist interns to finalize a third draft copy will result in relentless ridicule."

Cheeze whiz on a friggin cracker, Ernest Frappin' Hemmingway I ain't, I've insured hundreds of thousands of readars of that. It is true that most all written communication is simply a recant of something that's already happened, but going back through my articles and blogs, I fail to see where I've subjected anyone to "OK, everyone get comfortable, actually "watching" the paint dry is not necessary to the process but there are times..." h

grouch

Jul 05, 2006
6:38 PM EDT
helios:

There are times when one must stir oneself simply because there is absolutely no reasonable expectation that any more of the paint will peel.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!