worthless

Story: A Quick Glance at The Ms Office 2007 File FormatsTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
maggrand

Jun 05, 2006
1:14 PM EDT
Well that makes the Office suit pretty worthless for every country in the world. Only two choises exist. Migrate to some application that suppord ODF. Or invest heavy and write documents from scratch in MS Office and loose money and time.
jimf

Jun 05, 2006
2:17 PM EDT
In the days that MS was in control of the situation, they would just release a new .doc version and tell everyone to get on board. That's been a lot more iffy as they went on from office 2000, and many outfits still spec that doc version as a standard. I see a lot of people being very leery of going to a 'new' format, especially if it may not be generally accepted by business and government.

I think the choice that will be considered in business are going to be stay with the older and proven .doc format, or go with ODF as it gains acceptance as a standard. .docx, as an unproven proprietary dark horse, Doesn't stand a chance.
dcparris

Jun 05, 2006
2:18 PM EDT
Keep in mind the author was only examining what works now. Office 2007 isn't out yet, and these FOSS apps may work to support it. However, Abiword is definitely unlikely to support it real soon. Sooo...
jimf

Jun 05, 2006
2:28 PM EDT
A whole lot of this depends on how quickly Governments and Business accept ODF as a standard.
hkwint

Jun 05, 2006
11:55 PM EDT
Jimf: Not only that, also how soon and in what manner the ODF plugin for MS Office 2007 will be available I guess. I did send a mail to opendocument.us asking when, where and under which conditions the plug in would be available, but sadly I didn't receive an answer.
jimf

Jun 06, 2006
12:07 AM EDT
> also how soon and in what manner the ODF plugin for MS Office 2007 will be available

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
dcparris

Jun 06, 2006
6:39 AM EDT
It's supposed to already be available. Supposedly, they're just working out the distribution details. To be honest, that smells kind of fishy to me.
jimf

Jun 06, 2006
8:09 AM EDT
Bet it doesn't get released until MS has no other options and find thay can't even give away their .docx .

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!