One fish, two fish...

Story: Bluefish, for all your web dev needsTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
random

Jun 02, 2006
9:54 AM EDT
How is the syntax highlighting in Bluefish? I wanted something like gedit or kate (for Windows at work) and found Notepad++. The syntax highlighting recognizes when I'm using JavaScript inside HTML, but with gedit or kate I can only choose either/or.

Does Bluefish recognize a mix of languages?
dcparris

Jun 02, 2006
12:54 PM EDT
The one night I didn't bring my laptop to fire up... I can't remember what languages it supports. I think it recognizes most web scripting languages, anyway. But I'm shooting from the hip here.
grouch

Jun 02, 2006
4:28 PM EDT
Bah! Real geeks use joe, mcedit or even vi (if they're viciously insane) for html. I've heard of people using Emacs for it, but never actually met anyone with enough RAM to do so.

Bluefish is somewhere between text editors and full-blown GUI html editors. All of the latter add garbage to pages. (You can always tell when a page is generated in MS Office or MS Frontpage; it will have 4 times as much garbage as real content). OpenOffice.org seems to add the least garbage, of those GUI editors that try to isolate you from the code. Quanta and Amaya are also decent.

http://quanta.kdewebdev.org/ http://www.w3.org/Amaya/
jimf

Jun 02, 2006
4:31 PM EDT
> vi (if they're viciously insane)

Thank you for that one :)
dcparris

Jun 02, 2006
4:55 PM EDT
>Bah! Real geeks use joe, mcedit or even vi (if they're viciously insane) for html. I've heard of people using Emacs for it, but never actually met anyone with enough RAM to do so.

Hey. That's my desktop environment you're talking about there! Emacs blows KDE out of the water on speed and customization. It's not dumbed down like GNOME. And although it doesn't support OpenOffice.org or The Gimp, who needs all that GUI crap when you can write fresh ODF & SVG files from scratch? And you can write code in 200 quadrillion diffferent programming languages.

Actually, I use gVim on Windows when I'm at work. At my full-time job, I use Vim, OOo, and Firefox for 95% of everything I do.
grouch

Jun 02, 2006
5:13 PM EDT
vim -- viciousy insane masochist

power cord -- emergency exit device for vi/vim

joe -- 175k and able to emulate WordStar, pico and Emacs
dek

Jun 02, 2006
5:24 PM EDT
Grouch sez: Bah! Real geeks use joe, mcedit or even vi (if they're viciously insane) for html. I've heard of people using Emacs for it, but never actually met anyone with enough RAM to do so.

Hey hey hey!! I use emacs for editing html, java, c/c++ and whatever else I can use for plaintext!! I never had any memory problems -- uh, what was that I just said?? ;-) Seriously I use emacs because it has the exact same keystrokes of the first word processor I ever used -- perfect writer on CPM!! There's something about residual memory . . . I've tried using vi but my fingers just go naturally into emacs. ctrl-X ctrl-S saves a file in emacs. What does ctrl -S do in Vi? PITB!!

Don K.
grouch

Jun 02, 2006
5:36 PM EDT
Hey, I was beginning to think I imagined Perfect Writer. First encounter was on a Kaypro II.
dek

Jun 02, 2006
5:47 PM EDT
grouch sez: Hey, I was beginning to think I imagined Perfect Writer. First encounter was on a Kaypro II.

I know!! The Kaypro's were pretty good for their time. I really liked them. I think my brother still has one tucked away in his attic. Wish I'd kept my kp 10.

Don K.
dinotrac

Jun 03, 2006
8:13 AM EDT
grouch-dek:

Please warn the rest of us before you go tripping down memory lane again, so that we may take cover against all the grey shaking out of your beards.

Although...Now you've got me scratching my head, trying to remember the name of the word processor I used on that TRS-80 Mod II (the one with the 68000). Could it have been Electric Pencil? No...wait! I think it was (shudder) Scripsit!. (background noise: sound of gray radiating furiously out, banging into walls and killing small creatures).
dcparris

Jun 03, 2006
8:51 AM EDT
Glad I ain't at your house Dino! It sounds pretty dangerous around there. Is that the sound of brittle, old bones I here cracking?
dek

Jun 03, 2006
9:09 AM EDT
dino sez: Please warn the rest of us before you go tripping down memory lane again, so that we may take cover against all the grey shaking out of your beards.

Sorry! I had no idea that we old graybeards were that dangerous! Where's the problem? Did you slip and fall in the "gray matter" that flows so naturally off of our beards? ;-) (Note to self: find beard protector!)

However, must control my reminiscing.

Don K.
jimf

Jun 03, 2006
9:19 AM EDT
More greybeards around hear than you can shake a stick at dek :D

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!