so true

Story: Microsoft Is Playing A Dangerous Game…One Which Linux Could LoseTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
jsusanka

Apr 17, 2006
4:55 AM EDT
this is so true - drm and trusted computing is microsoft's next lockin model - it is the mother of all lockin models.

the US is headed down a scary path - I just hope the citizens realize where the US is headed.

I truly believe the senate has some thinking that drm and trusting computing is probably some way to fight against terrorism -

washington is so screwed up - we need someone as president who is going to get all the dam lobbyists out of washington and give the government back to the people - not the corporations.
chris

Apr 17, 2006
7:01 AM EDT
What do you mean? We have the best president that money can buy.
helios

Apr 17, 2006
3:56 PM EDT
What do you mean? We have the best president that money can buy......

Wasn't that long ago I would have argued with you. In fact, I don't think GB is bought, I just think his big business ideas do not take into account things like this. He simply thinks what is good for Microsoft is good for the country, however; the fact that Bill Gates had the lead ChiCom at his house for the first night of his visit disturbs me...no it highly peeves me off. GW had to sign off on this.

Just another case in point for our case in front of Congress. And trust me...it's coming.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 17, 2006
4:33 PM EDT
Don't expect "our" case to ever make any difference to Congress. They don't abolish the IRS or BATF regardless of how many lives they ruin or people they kill.

Microsoft is just playing the same game that has always been played: Power Corrupts. It's called "merchantilism", demonstrated by Adam Smith to be destructive to an economy, well reinforced by economists since (www.mises.org) to be actively persued by both big business and big government to the benefit of both against what are laughingly called "consumers".

Yes, it's coming. And it will pass, just like DMCA did, just like the Wiretap Facilitation laws did before them (why did the phone companies build remote wiretap functionality into their systems so it was even possible for AT&T to dump their entire Internet flow into the data-blackhole that is the NSA? They were forced to by law).

There is only one recourse: disobedience. When the law suit claiming first-amendment protection for computer code comes up, watch who opposes it and make sure they don't get reelected. Hahaha, the reelection rate in these United States is so high that what a politician actually does in office is pretty much irrelevant. So much for the false-God "democracy".

Time to study up on Anarchy and why it works so well. http://www.mises.org/story/2110

chris

Apr 18, 2006
1:33 AM EDT
When a president has raised the most campaign contributions, it's not because people just like him and who/what he stands for. It's a contribution with an understood return on investment in terms of contracts, favors, laws, and connections. Bush may not personally be the brain behind the works, but he represents an organization that has emerged on top, with deep links into corporations and the ability to channel money and power from your pocket into their own.

No, it's not ignorant patriotism that is pushing Bush. It's the filthiest kind of greed in the name of Patriotism. God bless America.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 18, 2006
7:06 AM EDT
Chris, there's an election for sheriff in my county soon. There are BILLBOARDS, lawn signs big and small, and lots of them.

No kidding it's about money. People spend money on political races because they expect return on their investment. The more the money, the more the return on investment expected. Microsoft has been spending *lots* of money lobying/contributing since they were first persecuted and discovered that they had a Big Brother with lots of guns that could be either friend or foe, depending on the grease used.
hkwint

Apr 23, 2006
12:46 PM EDT
GB not bought? He did get some help from someone we know.

From Wikipedia:
Quoting:The monetary influence of Jack Abramoff was substantial. Abramoff was deeply associated with Tom DeLay's K Street Project to bring Republican dominance to Washington lobbying. From 2000 to 2006, he personally donated money to campaign funds and Leadership PACs of numerous Republican candidates for Congress. ... .... He raised $100,000 for the reelection of George W. Bush, making him a Bush Pioneer. Abramoff and his wife [b]gave $10,000 to the Bush-Cheney Recount Fund, shortly before Abramoff joined Greenberg Traurig, which forgave over $314,000 in legal fees incurred by the Bush Campaign in the 2000 Florida election recount.
helios

Apr 23, 2006
2:12 PM EDT
hkwint - Point taken. Nice shot. ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!