I don't think terrorist fits

Story: FOSS Community Should Not Negotiate With Microsoft On Port 25Total Replies: 21
Author Content
amadensor

Apr 12, 2006
5:12 PM EDT
Now, if you said mobster or extortionist, that I could agree with. They are not using terror to keep people from doing what they otherwise would. They are using their size and influence to do things they would be otherwise be unable to do.

There is a difference between injuring people to change a political system, and using clout and a tool that not everyone can do without to squeeze a little more money out of those stuck with it.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 12, 2006
5:23 PM EDT
I do not think that the word 'terrorist' is too far off the mark.

The differences between a Mobster, Extortionist and a Terrorist are just a matters of extremity. The goals are the same, its just a matter of the tactics used to achieve them.

I will admit that in the strictest sense, Microsoft is not a terrorist organization, yet.
Libervis

Apr 12, 2006
5:27 PM EDT
DCParris used the term "economic terrorist" and not just "terrorist" which makes it fit quite right as it takes the meaning of the term into the realm of economy.

What do you think does the term "business suicide" for example mean? I don't think it involves real death. In the same way I don't think economic terrorism necessarily has to involve real human injuries, but rather injuries to economies.

dcparris

Apr 12, 2006
5:56 PM EDT
You are right on my point Libervis. You have to keep the term "economic" with the term "terrorist for the meaning to stick. I just can't see Bill Gates hiding out with Osama Bin Laden.
moopst

Apr 12, 2006
9:37 PM EDT
I will admit that in the strictest sense, Microsoft is not a terrorist organization, yet.

---------------------------

Tell that to Peter Quinn
number6x

Apr 13, 2006
4:44 AM EDT
Microsoft's inability to produce a working 64-bit version of Windows on time for the Itanium roll-out certainly caused economic damage to Intel, hp, and sgi. All three were heavily invested in the architectecture.

Dell was hurt as well, although they were not as invested in the Itanium development costs.

hp had their version of unix ready for Itanium. sgi was ready for Itanium on time. Linux was ported to Itanium on time.

But these OS's didn't have the market share to drive demand for the high end chips.

Microsoft dropped the ball and the result is written in the stock prices and corporate shakeouts of the companies affected.

Now Vista is delayed again (again, again, again). How much economic damage will this cause?

Lesson to investors: "Don't put all your eggs in one basket."
jdixon

Apr 13, 2006
7:37 AM EDT
> Now Vista is delayed again (again, again, again). How much economic damage will this cause?

Anyone expecting Microsoft to deliver a working product on schedule has such a poor knowledge or history or is so gullible they shouldn't be in business.

Damage from a delay in yet another poorly written, insecure, Microsoft operating system? Probably none.
rsheim

Apr 13, 2006
7:57 AM EDT
Terrorist: One who utilizes the systematic use of violence and intimidation to achieve political objectives, while disguised as a civilian non-combatant. The use of a civilian disguise while on operations exempts the perpetrator from protection under the Geneva Conventions. Use should be restricted specifically to references to people and nongovernmental organizations planning and executing acts of violence against civilian or noncombatant targets.

I agree with you that Microsoft uses agression in economic manner. I don't see any violence. Perhaps better words may be chosen. I do not know about these things other than what I read.
dsTst

Apr 13, 2006
11:25 AM EDT
Port 25 is just another business tactic of Microsoft. Remember how they had tried to snuff java out by implementing a modified version of the language. They even brought out an IDE in support for microsoft java called Visual-J . I think what microsoft needs to do to gain confidence from others is to come out in support for open standards (for files and others). For instance, let them embrace Open document format as a base for MSWord files rather than the proprietary DOC files.
theboomboomcars

Apr 13, 2006
11:35 AM EDT
From what I have seen MS does use economic violence. They pre-anounce products to keep people from buying competing products, they lobby the governments to not allow anything but MS, notice what they just did to China?

Sure these aren't violent to people perse, but the are violent to economies, competetors, and consumers.
dcparris

Apr 13, 2006
12:03 PM EDT
rsheim: Microsoft threatened to withdraw their software from Korea. As was pointed out above, such an action would amounted to economic violence. Extortion often involves physical violence or the threat thereof. Extortion doesn't always bring physical violence either, as you obviously understand.

This is a case of a company being dragged into court because they broke the law. Rather than go through the process quietly or humbly, they essentially attempted to threaten the government with actions that could have caused injury to the Korean economy. You have to realize that I am specifically applying the word terrorism to economics - not material/physical harm. Keep that concept in mind.

The bottom line is that Microsoft refuses to abide by the law, and reacts badly when brought before a judge. The arrogance displayed by their behavior in the Korean case is more than appalling - it is disturbing. I am dumbfounded that the consumer market hasn't responded much more negatively than it has. It should. The FOSS community has a golden opportunity. We need to stand with a united voice and say to Microsoft: "We don't trust you. Give us a reason to do so. Show us you can be trusted to play nice, do the right thing. Show us that you can be generous - not by giving out money - but by allowing people to compete fairly."

Only after we see a change in Microsoft can we have any hope at all for progress.
number6x

Apr 13, 2006
12:10 PM EDT
"If you don't buy this magazine, we'll shoot this dog"

Only MS was not joking.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 13, 2006
10:42 PM EDT
number6x, Here is my version, "If you don't buy Windows, we'll boycott your country."

When a company can threaten an entire country, and use the country they are based out of as a tool to implement their policies..

That's Economic Terrorism in its purist form.
rsheim

Apr 14, 2006
8:59 AM EDT
Quoting:Microsoft threatened to withdraw their software from Korea. As was pointed out above, such an action would amounted to economic violence.

Please do not insult your readers' intelligence. Violence is a term which describes deliberate actions that cause injury. English may not be first tongue but it seems you use your own language to fit your arguments. What kind of a site is this, I wonder?

tuxchick2

Apr 14, 2006
9:12 AM EDT
Nice article, Don. I think it's splitting hairs whether to label microshaft as guilty of terrorist behaviors or not, because as so many others pointed out, the consequences of their actions are so hugely destructive. It's the same age-old division in the law, which treats bodily harm more seriously than economic harm, even when the economic harm is far more devastating. As far as I'm concerned, "terrorist" fits them just fine. They think they're above the law, and they demand that both governments and private citizens do their bidding or else suffer harm- how is that not a terrorist tactic? Just because they do it without guns doesn't make it any less evil.
jdixon

Apr 14, 2006
10:35 AM EDT
> It's the same age-old division in the law, which treats bodily harm more seriously than economic harm...

The theory is that economic harm can always be remedied. The same is not always true of bodily harm.
dcparris

Apr 14, 2006
1:36 PM EDT
rsheim: Violence is a word that has been used in allegorical ways on numerous occasions. My use of it is no different than any other.
dcparris

Apr 14, 2006
1:38 PM EDT
Good to see you again, TuxChick! Thanks for the encouragement. As you can see, we're having loads of fun!
tuxchick2

Apr 14, 2006
1:40 PM EDT
jdixon, you're probably right. No one ever said the law was based on being sensible. I'd rather spend a few days recovering from a pop in the nose than the rest of my life subsidizing spammers, microsoft, enron, halliburton, etc.
henke54

Apr 18, 2006
10:58 AM EDT
Scott_Ruecker : >I do not think that the word 'terrorist' is too far off the mark.<

i repeat the sentence here -->"who may have a well-founded fear of retaliation if they assist the Commission in such cases."

>>>He said the European Commission had told the court it viewed Microsoft's subpoena as a "thinly veiled attempt" to circumvent EU procedures that aimed to strike a balance between a defendant's right to see antitrust papers and companies "who may have a well-founded fear of retaliation if they assist the Commission in such cases."

i supplied a yahoo link of the article above of today from AP press ..... link cannot posted here????
dcparris

Apr 18, 2006
11:19 AM EDT
>i supplied a yahoo link of the article above of today from AP press ..... link cannot posted here????

I don't know why not. E-mail it to me, and I'll see if i can post it. don lxer [dot] com
dcparris

Apr 18, 2006
2:07 PM EDT
Here is the Yahoo! Link: http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060418/eu_microsoft.html?.v=3

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!