Don't hold your breath

Story: Dell flirts with the Linux desktopTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
Abe

Feb 24, 2006
8:49 AM EDT
I believe that.

MS has to be dead before Dell would truly support Linux on the desktop. That will come some day, but not any time soon.
tadelste

Feb 24, 2006
10:30 AM EDT
They should have a movie about Bill and Michael called the Hunchbacks of Silicon Valley.
helios

Feb 24, 2006
2:57 PM EDT
In my 2 day trip to Round Rock, the international HQ for Dell, I had the chance to bring up Microsoft as a topic of discussion several times. In most instances, it was like --moderated-- and no one wanted to be the first one to say anything. When the smoke clears and we have real clarity into this point in time, history will reveal that MS held the sword of damocles over the heads of its hardware and third party software manufacturers. These people don't change out of their shoes and into their bedslippers without seeing what MS says first. They are frightened of them. That, above all else, was evident in those closed offices.
tadelste

Feb 24, 2006
3:13 PM EDT
Ken, I get you really don't read my articles. Hell, I wrote about the memo Microsoft wrote demanding deal stop promoting Linux that came up in the US v Micosoft trial.

This memo showed up after MS was about to get the monopoly tag and the prosecution found the memo. Michael had just done the LinuxWorld event and had to take all the linux stuff off of his web site.

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/52078/index.html

QUOTE:

Many us of will never doubt that something happened after Michael Dell in his LinuxWorld 2000 West keynote affirmed Dell's commitment to Linux. In Orlowski's report he further explains:

Earlier memos described that it was "untenable" that a key Microsoft partner was promoting Linux. Kuney revealed that Dell disbanded its Linux business unit in early 2001. Dell quietly pulled Linux from its desktop PCs in the summer of 2001, IDG's Ashlee Vance discovered subsequently, six months after we heard Michael Dell declare his love of Linux on the desktop the previous winter.

Compaq was also mentioned in other memos, with Microsoft taking the line that OEMs should "meet demand but not help create demand" for Linux.
helios

Feb 24, 2006
3:42 PM EDT
LOL...You bet I read your stuff. I was simply accentuating what you had said and was backing it up.

h
tadelste

Feb 24, 2006
3:50 PM EDT
OK. I've done the Dell visit more than once. I understand the tension:

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!