The media-support complaints never end

Story: Ubuntu 5.10, Nearly worthy of all the hypeTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
dtfinch

Feb 24, 2006
8:45 AM EDT
Nobody seems to get it that the lack of support for common audio/video files is not a technical issue, but a legal/licensing/financial issue.
tadelste

Feb 24, 2006
9:01 AM EDT
I get it.
devnet

Feb 24, 2006
9:34 AM EDT
I get it too.

Been preaching it via my blog since version 5.04 and still continue to wonder how on earth this distro can garner so much "It's the distro for the New User" mentality. It is ABSOLUTELY NOT the distro for new users. A new user will want to sit down and have everything work right away or within a few clicks. For example, sitting down to a fresh WinXP Pro install...visiting a website and finding that you require Java, flash, shockwave, viewpoint, etc. It's easily downloaded, installed, and up and running within a few clicks.

Counter point that to Ubuntu:

Add Extra Repository to download sources

Drop to a shell/console...

sudo apt-get install sun-j2re1.X java -version to ensure it's up and running

Restart Mozilla Firefox

Which one seems easier to you? Until Linux becomes as easy for the new user as security-hole ridden Microsoft is...Linux will continue to play second chair in the OS Band.

Devnet
SFN

Feb 24, 2006
10:45 AM EDT
Quoting:Counter point that to Ubuntu:

Add Extra Repository to download sources

Drop to a shell/console...

sudo apt-get install sun-j2re1.X java -version to ensure it's up and running

It hasn't been that way since a little before 5.10 came out. You should check out the link to Automatix mentioned in the article.

True, it's not as easy as Windows. As dtfinch said to begin this thread

Quoting:the lack of support for common audio/video files is not a technical issue, but a legal/licensing/financial issue

Unless one is willing to pay for a Linux distribution - and they can do that right now - the problem will continue to exist.

If you pay for a distro and those things aren't easily installed if not installed by default, you're getting screwed. If you choose to use a free distro, that's the way it works. Complaining about the fact that a free distro doesn't come with non-free software is like complaining about the height of the sky.
helios

Feb 24, 2006
3:50 PM EDT
But thats the point...it does work on free distro's. PCLinuxOS, Mepis and a few others have a world of advantage over Ubuntu for the new user. Myself, I like the way Ubuntu has done the gnome desktop. To a new user, it's just not the right distro. I personally run two: PCLinuxOS and Suse. Suse gives me the geek challenges I need and PCLinuxOS gives me the "out of the box" simplicity I want. To argue that there is not a new-user-ready Linux distro is mistaken. Watch this space in the next two weeks. We will be doing side-by-side tests with new users at the Barton Creek Mall in Austin. One laptop will be using Ubuntu, the other PCLinuxOS. While not scientific, I think we will garner enough data to see a difference.

helios

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!