IT Infrastructure, National Security, and Free Software

Story: A Visit With the Bolivarian RevolutionTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
jwbr

Jan 10, 2006
5:43 AM EDT
Given this is from a Venezuelan source (and maybe not a self-critical source), I am not sure how accurate it is, particularly with respect to the details of the described incident with the oil field IT. Maybe another contributor is aware of independent verification.

However, this article does describe a worrysome scenario with a nation (above all, third world nations) becoming dependent on proprietary IT infrastructure marketed by another country. I think all nations need to take note of this problem.

Not only does Free software allow for a nation to develop its own IT expertise and employ its own people, hemming the flow of scare finances out of the country, it also can serve as a foundation for that nation's national security.

What I don't understand is why such organizations as the UN are not more concerned about this problem. From what I have read, the UN seems to be catering to Big Software interests before those of the public.
tadelste

Jan 10, 2006
8:25 AM EDT
Quoting:What I don't understand is why such organizations as the UN are not more concerned about this problem. From what I have read, the UN seems to be catering to Big Software interests before those of the public.

From my observations, they are catering to Big Software. They have sponsored me to speak in developing nations about the use of open source software for ICT and I may as well speak to the walls of an empty room.
jimf

Jan 10, 2006
10:15 AM EDT
We know that MS buys government influence on a local level, why should we think it will be any different when we talk of world wide influence.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!