Absolutely

Story: Time to Cull Proprietary Software from Open Source BrandingTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
TPuffin

Jan 04, 2006
12:09 PM EDT
I've been observing the trends, and over the past year I've had many of these same thoughts myself. "Open Source" projects that limit how, where, and when you can use their code is not only, as you put it, damaging to the brand, but it can pull resources away from projects more deserving of such public effort. I say more deserving because GPL projects do give so much back to the community.

Of late it seems like ESR has tried so hard to bridge the gap between the business world and the idealism of RMS that you don't know which side of that line he's standing on. How much of that's due to his own stance changing vs. the way he's phrasing the message I couldn't say.
dcparris

Jan 05, 2006
6:39 AM EDT
The last I heard from ESR, he was claiming the GPL is no longer necessary - or even desirable. In my opinion, he's either confused or deluded.
Abe

Jan 05, 2006
11:52 AM EDT
I would say he was just looking for some publicity. A controversial idea would usually do the job.
tadelste

Jan 05, 2006
12:34 PM EDT
Eric is no longer working with OSI and I'm not sure what he's doing. He made quite a contribution at one time and I respect him for that. Hopefully he's OK.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!