How can the same story be misinterpreted so often?

Story: Oracle's free software foray scornedTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Nov 03, 2005
4:42 AM EDT
If Oracle Express 10g is supposed to be "free" of cost, why the restrictive licensing for the beta version?

[Don't believe me, read the conditions on the download site.]

Next, this versions if anything seems designed to give an upper end competition to Microsoft's SQL Server not against either MySQL 5.0 or PostgreSQL. Do not focus too heavily upon the Linux version, that's where their stress is for their major offering. It's the Windows version that is significant, and used or not it will cost MS extra, unexpected effort to make what was supposed to be easy conquests.

This is not the route I would have suggested, if you are interested you could check the LXer archives and read my take on MySQL / Oracle / SQL Server game: http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/46097/index.html
jimf

Nov 03, 2005
7:33 AM EDT
Perhaps true, but all to Machiavellian for my taste. Since you are arguing that the enemy of my enemy is my friend, which is fraught with all sorts of pitfalls. And, I still have doubts about supporting Oracle.
tadelste

Nov 03, 2005
5:29 PM EDT
Have you seen the movie "The Deal" with Christian Slater?

jimf

Nov 03, 2005
5:47 PM EDT
Sorry tadelste, I mised that one.

Perhaps I'm being naive, but, from what I've seen Enterprisedb would be a better horse to back.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!