Linux Distributors PCs

Story: Will Wal-Mart sell $398 notebooks, desktops?Total Replies: 6
Author Content
Abe

Nov 01, 2005
8:42 AM EDT
Instead of waiting for OEMs to furnish PCs with Linux, why don't Linux Distributors take the initiative and have their own PCs. All what Dell does is basically integrate components from different manufacturers, slap Windows on, and sell them on the Internet. Linux distributors can do the same but have Linux instead. It will be cheaper and far better especially when they offer support. The large demand might not be there initially, but hey, they can make it big using the right marketing. And who knows, that might get OEMs thinking about pre-installing Linux on theirs.
TxtEdMacs

Nov 01, 2005
9:44 AM EDT
Quoting: ... who knows, that might get OEMs thinking about pre-installing Linux on theirs.

NOT a good way to encourage someone to start a new business, then seeing it taken over easily by the dopes that were on the sidelines.
helios

Nov 01, 2005
12:36 PM EDT
The startup costs alone would prohibit this but I like the idea. Macs is correct however, you should spend some time pulling the bandwagon before you are allowed to jump on it.

I have gotten cnet emails for years just because I was too lazy to unsubscribe. Yesterday, I get an email advertising how to "Learn Linux". They will teach me how to dual boot with windows and everything. I haven't seen a word about Linux in the years I've gotten these emails. Funny...I didn't see anything about a live cd in this ad either. Wouldn't a live cd do just about everything they claim they can accomplish? Link is for your enjoyment and subsequent outrage...or not.

http://ct.cnet-ssa.com.com/clicks?c=632475-43365041&brand=cn...
jimf

Nov 01, 2005
1:48 PM EDT
People have been suggesting that someone start supplying computers preconfigured with Linux for a long time. I think there are already a couple of places, but the're few and far between. The startup for a supplying a complete Linux package is very expensive and, even now, is really quite a business risk. With the exception of Suse, I really don't believe that any of the individual Distro's are in a position to support this kind of thing, though, I know that Mepis, for one, has been trying unsuccessfully to provide something for some time now.

That will soon change. It is inevitable that, as Linux becomes more popular, the demand will make Linux computer packages a profitable economic reality. It's only a question of who will be the first to pull it off successfully.... Then again, don't be surprised if you see 'Dell Linux'.
Abe

Nov 01, 2005
3:53 PM EDT
OK, you say it is expensive, I say it is necessary and doesn't have to be expensive.

Linux desktop demand is not that hot at this time (unless some one thinks otherwise and have solid data). That is mainly because most Linux users already have decent computers. They are not likely to buy a new machine just to have Linux. Instead, they either wipe out Windows or dual boot.

Most new computers are either bought by corporations or consumers who don't know enough about Linux. If the OEMs are not making a sincere effort marketing Linux, some one must. Novell is making big effort in the enterprise, but the Linux push in the enterprise is not strong yet. That is mainly because of the MS lock-in and other factors. If Novell wants to stay in business, they better start making an effort towards the individual consumers. They could create a small subsidiary to promote Linux using hardware either from existing OEMs, or have their own designed desktops. This new entity will concentrate on marketing, selling, and supporting their integrated products. This entity doesn't have to be big and shouldn't cost more $20-$30 million. Is that too much for Novell? If it is, Novel is in toruble. Apple, Compaq, Dell, and so many other large OEMs started in a basement or garage, why doesn't Novell go back to the basics and start a small venture? Or am I way off?

Novel is known, the word of mouth from the community goes a long way, it is not that hard to build a web site for direct sales. I am sure they have the people for integration and support, so what is the problem? If it doesn't work, it is not going to break them. I think Novell should look into it.
dinotrac

Nov 01, 2005
4:13 PM EDT
Selling PCs is a very different proposition from selling software.

It requires much more of a supply chain, and the risk of paying real money for things whose value goes down with the next big hardware advance. It's not easy competing with the Dells of this world. It's not cheap, either.
jimf

Nov 01, 2005
4:36 PM EDT
But you reinforce my point Abe. Novell / Suse is perhaps the only one who has the capital and the connections to do this. Of course the question is "will they take the risk?".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!