OpenOffice, it Works?

Story: Three-Year-Old Version of Word Resurfaces in Microsoft Works 2006Total Replies: 0
Author Content
AnonymousCoward

Oct 31, 2005
3:04 PM EDT
I've been adding OpenOffice to Win32 machines that I run across which have been "getting by" with MS-Works. The effect is that they can now open (and modify) slideshows and "real" spreadsheets. A few of them are also producing PDFs for their websites, which with WinSCP and some clever scripting can make even a cans-and-string level operation look vaguely professional at first glance.

I interpret this move by MS as sending the following message: "We don't want to cut into our lucrative/premium MS-Office market or send a message that we might, so we can't ship the latest -- but we also don't want to see MS-Works casually steamrollered by OpenOffice, so we do have to 'reinforce' it by including a real version of MS-Word."

Put simply, OpenOffice will absolutely wipe the floor with MS-Works. There won't even be gibbets left -- and I'd like to see MS-Works importers on OOo for this very purpose. The only reason MS-Works exists in the first place is because MS-Office is overpriced, and OpenOffice both undercuts and overpowers MS-Works. It was a 100% marketing decision rather than a technical one.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!