ultimate in geekiness!

Story: Comment of the Day - October 25, 2005 Calculate the Optimal Size of a New Disk DriveTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
tuxchick

Oct 25, 2005
11:06 PM EDT
When I need new hard drives, I calculate thusly:

"one, two, three, many many many gigabytes."

Nice work, Bjorn!
bstadil

Oct 26, 2005
4:30 PM EDT
This is not as geeky as you might think. The US storage market was $8.8B in 2004 and my little formula equates equally to $1M storage systems as it does to $100 disks.

For corporations a model like this makes it obvious that cost control needs to address what you are going to store not what you already have. What outside forces are driving the storage needs and what different classes of needs are at play with different requirement and cost / GB.

The likes of EMC, SUN (the bought Storage tech for some odd reasons) and Hitachi should think about how to strategically use these kind of models in their marketing and positioning efforts. .Even open source can benefit from this as at least Redhat has discovered. Target some of the lower requirement, high growth classes of storage needs and present a clear model for cost containment and Bobs your uncle.
jimf

Oct 26, 2005
6:10 PM EDT
for a Corporate model this makes sense. For my personal use, I'll go pretty much the tuxchick route... 3 to 5 x my current space will work fine, depending on my current financial state.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!