Linspire is OK, but

Story: Linspire nears million-user markTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
tuxchick

Oct 09, 2005
11:25 AM EDT
I torture-tested Linspire 5. It was an interesting experience. Some things were really nice, like everything worked out of the box on my Thinkpad- sound, power management, hotplug, and even the horrid AC97-based modem. Power management was awesome, I had it up for three weeks and put it repeatedly into hibernation without a glitch.

The distasteful bits were lots of commercials, not many programs in the Click n Run warehouse, and very limited installation options, like no custom partitioning. Their silly insistence on not providing an option during installation to create an unprivileged user is a huge mistake, but they don't think it's a problem. If the installer would require creating an unprivileged user I could like Linspire, but that's a deal-breaker. Why copy the worst features of Windows?
jimf

Oct 09, 2005
4:49 PM EDT
While I am no fan of Linspire, their recent Deal with Dell will insure Linspire's success and could mean a real gain for the Linux Desktop. Let's remember that Dell has been a MS shop for a long time. The fact that they now plan to promote any Linux Distro could have big ramifications for MS and for Linux.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!