On the Art (?) of Disinformation: telling the Big Lie

Posted by Andy_Updegrove on May 9, 2006 10:49 AM EDT
ConsortiumInfo.org; By Andy Updegrove
Mail this story
Print this story

This blog entry is a rarity for me: an exegesis on the deliberate disinformation of a single vendor. Of course, calling out falsehoods by some vendors is like shooting the same old fish in a barrel, but occasionally you have to haul out the firearm when they start landing in your soup.

What persuaded me to take up the cudgels in this case was a quote tI read earlier this week in eWeek, and then spotted again at   Bob Sutor's blog today:

"You can achieve interoperability in a number of ways," said [Microsoft's] Robertson. Among them: joint collaboration agreements, technology licensing and interoperability pacts.

The reason this statement caught my eye was that Scott Edwards (also of Microsoft) had used virtually the exact same words at a NIST workshop that I had spoken at a month or so ago, offering such methods as valid alternatives to "open standards." My reaction then, as now, was that such means can in no way represent equivalent alternatives to open standards, although they might offer an avenue to a single vendor, or to a cadre of vendors, to control a marketplace to their own advantage.

Full Story

Nav
» Read more about: Story Type: Editorial

« Return to the newswire homepage

Subject Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
OpenDocument versus Micro$oft's Open XML henke54 0 1,447 May 9, 2006 11:06 AM

You cannot post until you login.